Yangon is a vibrant, sparkling and colorful city. This is also one of the most favorite sightseeing spots of travelers due to its beautiful landscape, delicious food and many European-style pagodas. People often said that your trip to Yangon would not complete without visiting Shwedagon Pagoda and Bogyoke Aung San Market. They are two of the most famous destinations in this city and also the main reasons attracting a lot of tourists coming here to visit.
Home to the most renowned pagoda of Myanmar
Myanmar has a long time considered as “the country of the pagodas”. One of the most famous religious sites in Myanmar even in the world is Shwedagon Pagoda which was built 2500 years ago. From the foothill, there are four gates leading to the main terrace. Each gate has a pair of chinthe standing to guard. In the east and south gates, there are many shops selling Buddhist offerings and products.
Each tourist has to pay about $5 for entrance fee and put shoes of before getting the pagoda. At the sunrise or sunset, thanks to the light emanating from the 99-meter high gold plated stupa, the pagoda looks like more splendid, sparkling and fanciful. Visiting the pagoda, all your anxiety, depression and stress of daily life seem to disappear.
According to legend, the Shwedagon Pagoda is also the place enshrining four sacred relics of Buddhism: a holy staff, a piece of cloth from a sacred figures robe, oddly a revered water filter and strands of Buddha’s hair. The pagoda complex consists of 1000 small temples surrounding the central stupa, 72 stone temples of which have Buddha statues inside. The stupa’s top is decorated by 1065 gold and 421 silver bells.
Buy gemstone with very cheap price
Just a few minutes walking from Shwedagon Pagoda is Bogyoke Aung San Market, one of heritages of Yangon city. This site is famous for gems which are sold with the “amazing price”. The lowest price of a gem at the market is only about $5. Bogyoke Aung San Market was built in 1926 in British architecture. It is also considered as a miniature Myanmar because most of the items representing the Myanmar culture can be found in here.
A vibrant city
Yangon, also Myanmar is an ideal place to visit, especially for backpackers. Renowned for its culture deeply influenced by Buddhism, the ancient temples along with majestic scenery are the reasons attracting thousands of tourists coming here each year. Besides the well-known sites Shwedagon Pagoda and Bogyoke Aung San Market, Yangon also offers you a lot of exciting things to explore:
- Thaketa Crocodile Farm: is home to more than 200 species of crocodiles. You may feel scared when crossing the bridge which under are hundreds of crocodiles are opening their mouth. Address: Thaketa Industrial Zone, Thaketa Town, Yangon. Fee: $1/person.
- Drug Elimination Museum: built around the late 1990s, the aim of the museum is to warn people about the dangers of drugs. Address: corner of Kyunthaw and Hanthawaddy street, Kamayut Town, Yangon. Entrance fee: $3/person.
- 19th street: noisy, bustling and brilliant. Unlike the Khao San Road in Bangkok, 19th street gives visitors the feeling of “a really Myanmar” with the outdoor bars. This is also the place where visitors can enjoy the best grilled fish dish in the city.
- Vista rooftop bar: Located near Shwedagon Pagoda, the Vista bar is the perfect place to admire the view of the city. Address: Vista Bar, 168 West Shwegondine, Bahan, yangon.
- 50th Street Bar: is an ideal place to enjoy a beer while watching the big football matches. Address: 50th Street Bar, 9/13, 50th, Botahtaung, Yangon.
- Minn Lan Rakkhine seafood restaurant: Minn Lan is an outdoor restaurant serving the finest seafood in Yangon. The must-try dishes in here are pandan shrimp and lobster.
- Shwe Sa Bwe Restaurant: specializes in serving traditional Burmese dishes. The restaurant also serves the dishes inspired by French cuisine.
Read more tourist destinations and travel guides in Myanmar, please visit our website. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or comments. You also can subscribe and like this article if you feel it is useful!